When choosing and buying your first franking machine, it is important to understand what best to look for not only in your franking machine, but also your franking machine supplier as well. Choosing the first offer that comes your way is not always the best option. Take your time when choosing your franking machine as it is an investment for your business! There are many hidden pitfalls to acquiring a franking machine and our guide is here to help you miss these and help you choose the best franking machine and franking machine supplier for your business.
The perfect guide to buying or renting a franking machine
There are many important points you will need to cover when talking to a franking machine supplier about the prospect of buying or renting a franking machine with them. Make sure you do your research and find the answers to the important questions listed below as you do not want to make the wrong decision.
- Is the company a Royal Mail authorised independent supplier and maintainer of franking machines?
- Is the franking machine Mailmark compliant?
- How much does a replacement ink cartridge cost?
- How many impressions does the ink cartridge last for? Both with and without franking a company logo or return address? (Ask for evidence of this as this varies dependent on who you’re talking to!)
- Does the ink cartridge time out and stop working within a certain period of time from when you install it in the machine?
- Is there a charge for adding postage to the franking machine? If postage top ups are free, find out how many are free per annum and how much each top up would be thereafter.
- Is there a charge to update the machine or postal scale with new tariffs when the Royal Mail change their postage prices?
- If you are signing a lease or rental agreement they usually all carry those annoying ‘documentation fees’ or ‘administration fees’ which would be payable with the first rental. Find out how much this would be, they can vary from £75.00 up to around £150.00!!
- How much do franking labels cost when franking onto larger items?
- How much does the logo stamp or return address cost?
- How much does the annual service and maintenance cover cost and does this cover all breakdowns, call outs parts and the annual Royal Mail inspection? Also check if its onsite maintenance or ‘return to base’ (This could leave you without a machine for a prolonged period of time!).
- Does the company have its own approved engineers or do they sub contract out the service?
- Does the company install the equipment and train the customer free of charge or is it delivered in a box for you to sort out?
Do you want a quick franking machine quote?
Here at Franking Machine Guide we can offer you a quick and easy Mailmark franking machine quote!